Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Perseverance; Power-3s

I am in Oregon today; I skated  a double-header this morning.  First, I skated for 45 minutes at Sherwood ("Shiny Rink") on the 6 a.m. FS, then drove up to Winterhawks Skating Center (WSC) for a lesson with Sonya at 7:30.

My practice at Sherwood was fruitful.  Besides enjoying the company of Coach Leone and skating buddy Madison, I ran through the Bronze moves and then worked extensively on power-3s and 5-step mohawk.

My lesson with Sonya at WSC was all about power-3s.   We focused on the R foot since that's my weakest side.  We worked on the back lobe extensively; Sonya gave me an exercise to do (actually she gave this to me a lonnnng time ago, I believe) -- two BXOs, then power-shift and hold the circle around the opposite direction; then shift to two BXOs the opposite direction, power shift and hold the circle around the other way.  If you do this right you create a figure-8.

After that we worked some more on the 3, and then on the back choctaw.  Sonya had me try to rotate my body (in this case, bring the L shoulder around) on the step forward to get a better RFO edge.  Not sure about that.

Sonya also suggested I might try starting the move with the R foot instead of L (it is permitted to start on either foot).  I tried that and I think it works better for me -- first of all it gets the harder side over with first so I can "finish strong", and also she had me start from the circle hash marks nearest the boards (facing the end of the rink) and just skate two strokes into the first RFO -- it seemed a lot easier.  I'll have to see what JJ thinks.

All in all a great lesson and then I had a wonderful chat with Sonya afterward.  Good stuff!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home