Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Program Prep

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.  I slept poorly and was quite tired, but had a decent lesson anyway.

Today's lesson was all program prep (except at the very end).  We worked on spins and jumps a bit, especially spins.  Some points of my spin technique had regressed (grrr) so we had to recover that.  I swear I would really love to know why I have such problems spinning when it seems so easy for everyone else!  I did some decent salchows though; and we worked on toe loop, JJ says my entrance (RFI3) is a bit weak  so we worked to get a better (more decisive!) turn so that I'd be on a better RBO to set up the jump.

After that we did a runthrough with music.  A bit rough in places but okay.  I really need to work the waltz-sal sequence; when I do a salchow by itself it's not too bad, but coming out of the waltz jump I rush it horribly and it really stinks as a result.

After the program stuff (JJ was *very* generous with his time today) we spent a couple of minutes working on the stroking exercise he introduced last week.  It's all about tempo, getting me to move around quicker and with more strength/speed.

After my lesson I skated the remainder of the 8:15 session and worked on Bronze moves.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM , Blogger Walla Walla Sk8ter said...

    Gordon, has your work on the left side of the power three-turn pattern helped your spin entrance? I know this improved my own spin entrances. The only difference is that you stay down in the knee longer in order to hook the spin. Good luck with your program!

     
  • At 11:45 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    I haven't noticed any real difference, no. I think my problems with the spin are a couple of things... 1) I usually have a good entrance but I don't keep my free leg back long enough, 2) I don't get my arms out in front of me, and 3) even when I get a good position I tend to freak out and bail on it :-(

     
  • At 11:45 PM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Although now that you've said that... I'll try to see if I can think about it differently, and if it helps. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home