Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Ice Dance Class #1-3

Today's ice dance class at Ice Den.  We had 6 kids (one new older girl, and the boy that was there last week wasn't there tonight), and one new adult who was visiting and dropped in.  We had "only" 2 coaches & a junior coach though.

Most of class was the same stuff as last week, warm up with progressives, swing rolls, and slide chassés and also cross rolls, which I can do about as badly as my swing rolls.  Then a bunch of time on DW, CT and RB, a little work on partnering, and at the end some work on the cross-behinds in the RB and an intro to twizzles (!).

I am, I think, skating a bit faster.  I'm also remember the steps a bit better (so, of course, next week they are going to start us on new dances).  I'm still rather frustrated though -- this reminds me of why I've not liked group classes in the past.  I feel like I need to actually learn to do some of these things and there's not time:
  • my "progressives" aren't really progressives, they are pretty much crossovers
  • my swing rolls don't swing very much and my edges are not deep enough 
  • I can't do the cross-behinds in the RB
It's very frustrating.  At the same time I do think I am skating faster because I'm trying to keep up, and that is something.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home