Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Field Trip

My figures lesson with Lynne on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.   Usually this session is uncrowded (like 3 skaters) and good ice, which is why Lynne and I thought it would work since we couldn't find another time to have a lesson this week.

Unfortunately the ice was kinda crappy (see below) and presumably because school isn't back in session for quite everyone, it was relatively crowded -- about 6 skaters (including a couple of higher level skaters) and like 4 coaches.  So not great conditions -- but hey, it's a learning experience, right?

Today's lesson:
  • BO8 -- these were pretty bad.  Between the ice, and just me... yuck.  I was having trouble just getting around the circle and I couldn't see where I was going at all.  Very frustrating.
  • Waltz-8 -- these actually are slowly improving, especially when I make myself hold the BO edge longer.  Lynne also pointed out I needed to hold the exit from the LFO3 longer and that helped.  I'm still putting my foot down on the R foot step-forward... that's gotta stop.
  • 3s to center -- these are about where they were, although I noticed I am coming out of the turn with a better position. I think if I had more speed/flow going in I would do better at holding it around.
It was quite weird to get off the ice, change my skates and get back on... the change of blades was a bit weird for me.  We probably won't try this again unless we have to, hopefully conditions will be back to their usual next week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home