Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BXOs, Spins, Sit Spin Prep

My lesson with JJ this morning.  Due to a commitment, JJ moved our lesson up to 7:15 a.m. and I was on the ice at about 7:10.

Today's lesson:
  • BXOs to landing position -- since we had the rink to ourselves I wanted to work on these since it's a pretty blind move.  The pattern is pretty good.  JJ reminded me to lift the head (especially) and be lifted up (core strong) and stay off the toe.  In general  I think this move is pretty good but it would be good to be faster, and look a little more confident.
  • Spins -- ugh.  We spent quite a bit of time on these and they are just really stinky.  I was forgetting to do even basic things I've done well in the past.  I was not at all happy with them.
  • Sit spin prep -- we finished up with a little bit of exercise (starting at the boards) to learn the basic sit spin position.  JJ had me stand facing the boards with the R foot extended and bend down on the L knee.  I didn't get it horizontal but JJ said the most important thing is to learn the basic position so that it would be a recognizable sit spin even if the position will have to be improved.  We worked on these a little bit away from the wall and I can kind of do the position... but considering how my spins stink (see above) I'm pretty skeptical.  Oh well.
After my lesson I stayed for the rest of the session and worked on the rest of my moves.  I actually made some progress on the power-3s, to where I could do one "good" LFO3 (the subsequent one was still pretty bad) and one better-but-still-bad RFO3.  Ugh.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:00 AM , Blogger preeti said...

    Knee exercises are good for knee joints and full body health too.

     
  • At 11:37 AM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks! I think it's the quads that do most of the work in this case but also flexibility in the hamstring (which I am lacking) definitely would be helpful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home