Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Ice Dance Class #1-2

Today's ice dance class at the Ice Den.  We had two more kids join the class, including one boy, for a total of 6 kids and 3 adults.  We had the same instructors as last week -- Veronica, who was the lead teacher, Julie, Tim (he coaches at Arcadia and Oceanside, apparently) and junior coach Katie.

We started with some more warmups of edges, progressives, chassés and so forth.  Then we went back to the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Rhythm Blues.  I've determined that part of my problem is that my swing rolls are so un-curved, so straight, that it's hard to do whatever is supposed to come after them.  Tim and Julie both worked with me on that, and Tim emphasized that you have to stay with the beat (as I said, just like sightreading!) no matter what.

We also spent a little time being introduced to the Killian and reverse Killian holds, which I already knew anyway.  I didn't try partnering anyone except that Veronica made me try it with her once.  A little scary at times but at least I didn't take her down!

I was maybe a little faster today than last week, and it went a little better.  I still feel like I'm waaaay behind everyone.  They had us doing a lap of progressives and the kids all lapped me.  Sigh..

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home