Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Workin' It

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler coffee club.  I warmed up with the Preliminary test as usual,which was really necessary since I'd not skated in my patch blades for over a week.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz-8 -- we continued working on these since I had just finished them when Lynne came on the ice.  These are improving but at a verrrry slowww rate.  Grr.
  • BO8 -- Just one layout.  Actually really nice today!  I was really happy.  Tracing not so great, but I had really good flow on both sides and came back to center pretty well.
  • BI8 -- these are definitely a work in progress.  Lynne and I both agreed that I need to improve my BI edges if I'm going to have more success with my 3s to center.. speaking of which..
  • 3s to center -- these are improving..  The 3 itself is generally pretty good!  And reasonable flow through the turn, but then I'm not doing a good job of checking and esp. of controlling the BI edge after.  Evil thought -- I should work on the FI3s at some point.. before Lynne thinks of it..
  • serpentines -- these are coming along as well.  I actually made it around the full 1.5 circles twice, both times on the R foot.  L foot still lagging a bit.  In order to get around I have to have both a really good push AND good flow through the change of edge.  As I told Lynne, I don't have enough slop in my technique to make it around if I don't do great at both of those.  By the time I test these I'll have to have both points a bit higher than absolutely necessary to account for nerves etc.
All in all a really good lesson, I thought.  After my lesson I worked on BI8s a bit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home