Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Final Test Prep

My lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Gilbert.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz jump -- we worked to continue fixing the timing of this jump.  The good news is that I am holding the FO edge longer and the jump feels very light and free, and higher (I think).  The bad news is that in spite of that I'm tending to jump when my arms are still drawn back to my side, or only slightly raised.  If I can actually wait a bit longer, bend the knee more and let the arms come up just imagine the height I can get!
  • 2-foot spin -- I'm tending to bring my arms in immediately on this, and JJ wants me to bring them in more slowly, he says it's better technique and will show the judges I know what I'm doing :-).  I did manage to do a little better on this.
  • 1-foot spin -- not too bad.  First one was a little wonky (my warmup ones were pretty good), but subsequent ones were better.
  • lunge -- still need to work on getting down and staying down.  JJ says the issue I was having yesterday was due to letting the free hip go back instead of staying square (makes sense).  I did some more and they were better.
That's all we had time for.  I'm skating twice more (freestyle) before the test, tomorrow night and Friday morning, then hopefully have some warmup Saturday morning depending on the schedule for the test (which hasn't been released yet).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home