Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Test Prep

My freestyle lesson with JJ on the 7:30 a.m. session at Gilbert.  This ice (North Pole) was just rebuilt last week and looked really nice, although perhaps a little thin still.

Today's lesson:
  • waltz jump -- we continued working on the timing of the arms, starting from a T and then from BXOs.   On the positive side I am now holding the FO edge longer as JJ wants.  On the negative side I'm tending to jump when my arms are down at my sides, instead of raising them as I jump.  Geez.
  • salchow -- still working on remembering to slow down the 3.  I did a couple of good ones and a couple not so good.
  • 1-foot spin -- progress.... got some decent spins (and some not so decent).
  • 2-foot spin -- I had done a not-so-great one in my warmup, but the one I did in my lesson was awesome (I was pretty dizzy afterward).
  • XO pattern -- JJ wants me to make the circles REALLY big.  So I did. Eeep.  On the positive side it does make me more relaxed so that's good.
That was all we had time for.  I had done a lunge in my warmup.  JJ reminded me to stay down for at least 3 seconds in the lunge, but 5 would be preferable.

After my lesson I stayed and skated until 9.  I was tempted to not stay for the second session (8:15 - 9) but decided I really needed the time.  I'm glad I stayed, I got some good work in on my spins, salchow, and waltz jump.  I'm feeling better about the test, which is good since it is only 9 days away.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home