Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Basics



Before my lesson we did a quick double-check on the new alignment of my R blade. We're both satisfied it's correct now, so I dropped 'em off for permanent mounting later this morning.

Today's lesson:
  • Back edges -- takeoff on BO edges is mostly fixed now (finally), but Sonya worked with me to fix my arm positioning so I don't rotate prematurely and to keep the free foot in front. On the BI edges she reminded me to get the free foot over the print. In general these have come a long way, so Sonya is being more picky now :-)
  • FXOs -- my bad side is now looking better than my "good" side! Not sure why that is. I'm definitely feeling more secure on my FO edges though and that's helping a lot. Sonya worked with me to get a better kneebend and better underpush on the erstwhile "good" side, with some improvement. I am okay doing them slower but have problems maintaining good form when I speed them up.
  • BXOs -- I was really happy with these today, the good side is much, much quieter. The bad side is still a bit scratchy but as Sonya said, now I'm scratching with the whole blade and not the toepick :-) so it's an improvement of sorts.
  • Waltz-8 -- the BO edge is better and I'm holding the position longer, but having problems still with placing the turn too early and the step forward is still too much "out" and not enough "in". Arrgh.
After my lesson Sonya and I had a good talk (15-20 minutes) about our lesson schedule, my progress, practice, and other fun topics.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home