Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Waltz-8 & Back Edges


Today's lesson on the 7 a.m. FS:
  • Back edges -- we started with these because I was working on them when it came to lesson time (doesn't that often happen?). We finally fixed my takeoff for BO edges so that I'm going straight out, not back and out! I feel like I'm doing it in "slow motion" and have to really get the feet together and feel the outside of the ankle really pushing out, in order to get the takeoff set correctly. These have really come a long way.
  • Waltz-8 -- Sonya asked me turns vs. waltz-8 and I chose waltz-8. Arrggh! Some of my progress from yesterday held but it's still a struggle to place the 3 better. I'm also getting up on my toe on the LBO.
  • Spins -- finished up with these. Still a struggle, although I had one where I at least got around in a circle.
After my lesson Sonya and I talked about testing, critique, etc. We decided I will NOT test 12/6; I'm just not passable. We will ask one of the judges to come and critique a runthrough, though, which should give me valuable feedback.

We also talked about my blades. I've been thinking about this for a while anyway, but then I read a post on SkatingForums about someone else who had problems turning/spinning when moving to Coronation Comets. In looking back I think my blades might be the issue. I hate to sound like one of those skaters who blames all their problems on their equipment, but I would also hate to be wasting time (which for me is in really short supply) when I could fix it by getting different blades. So, Sonya is going to do some investigating and we will probably switch me to Coronation Ace or MK Pro. Hopefully I can get them ordered before I leave for Thanksgiving vacation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home