Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, October 22, 2007

3s & BO Pivot


Sonya had threatened me with a moves runthrough last week, but I think she was tired from Regionals, or maybe just wanted to let me fix stuff first.

Today's lesson:
  • 3s -- Sonya asked me what I wanted to work on, and I told her that of all the things that need fixing right now, the 3s are the one I'm most worried about (the other ones are in better shape and I'm making more progress onthem). So we worked on control into the 3. A number of issues that I've kind of known about but never really explored -- first, need a better edge going into these things. Too many times I'm going in on a flat and then wonder why it's so hard. Second is to really get the shoulders rotated; I've tended to not get that last inch or two of rotation that I need. Third is to keep the free hip up (goes with the first thing). So we actually did make some progress.
  • BO Pivot -- I had reminded Sonya that she had wanted to look at these so we spent a little time at the end on them. So basically for the RBO pivot it's skate an RBO in landing position, then rotate shoulders CCW and bring the free leg around and behind the skating leg and push down until it meets the ice. It needs a really good kneebend and nice deep RBO edge. Sonya was pleased with how quickly this came although I can't quite hold it yet.
It was a really nice session. Usually it's fairly crowded but with Regionals this week it looks like a lot of people took today off, so there were only 4 or 5 of us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home