Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Stops & Salchows


Today's lesson:
  • T-stop -- I asked Sonya if we could work on these as I've never felt confident about them when I have any kind of speed up, and I really didn't want to be doing snowplow stops on my test! So we started off from just one stroke, then 2, 3, 4, and up to 5. By the end I could do a nice solid stop. It's important to really get the weight on the back foot and especially not to let up (maybe even increase a bit) as I come to a stop.
  • Salchow -- I asked Sonya about using the mohawk entrance instead of the 3-turn, so we worked on them a bit. The mohawk definitely gives me a better check; if I use it I'll never have to worry about doing a "spin-cow." But it doesn't make me do this jump any better, I'm still struggling with it.
  • BXOs -- just some quick review at the end of the lesson. It's all about the weight shift. If I concentrate on a slower tempo and really getting my weight forward on my front foot I can do a nice, quiet BXO. I need to work these more and remember that.
At the beginning of the lesson we discussed doing a Moves runthrough but decided to postpone until next week... so I really need to work them this week! My great schemes for getting more ice time didn't get executed last week but it's a new week and a new opportunity.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home