Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Test Prep


Today's lesson on the 7 a.m. FS:
  • Waltz-8 -- as I found in my warmup this morning, I can make myself hold the entrance edge longer (good) but then the 3 is very forced. I'm still not getting myself fully rotated and I'm checking a little too soon and too forcefully. On the R side I'm not holding the exit of the 3 very well at all, either. The rest is not too bad.
  • BXOs -- these are still too scratchy; I'm not developing the underpush. Sonya had me work against the wall to try to get the feel of really getting that underpush and roll of the ankle. I am just not (waaait for it!) bending my knees enough to be able to get a good underpush.
  • 3-turn pattern -- The 3s were horrible. Sonya wants me to be more collected and forceful on the back lobe to make it bigger. Needs much more work.
After the lesson we talked about the upcoming test. The waltz-8 and 3-turn are not passable at this point (it's the 3s). The FXOs and BXOs are a bit marginal but are improving enough I think they'll be passable by test time. Sonya suggested (she's mentioned this before) that we can ask one of the local judges to come in and give me a critique. This could be in a couple of weeks. We went back and forth about some of the options we might choose. Depending on the critique results we could choose to test or not, even if they are not passable.

After my lesson I talked with Sonya briefly and was recollected enough to remember to do something I've been meaning to do for a while -- to thank her and praise her. She's really a great coach, and in the year+ that we've been working together I've come a long way (despite my whining). She's so professional and patient and upbeat and talented, I'm very blessed to have her as my coach.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home