Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Skating In Tucson


I skated the Thursday afternoon freestyle at the convention center while I'm here on vacation. This is the most expensive ice I've ever had -- since the club has to rent ice from TCC, it's $19/hr to walk on.

It was actually pretty nice ice, and not that crowded. I saw a lot of people I knew, and I got to pick up my new club jacket -- it's beeyootiful!

Since I was on vacation I excused myself from doing a Moves runthrough, but I did work on a lot of my problem areas -- waltz-8, bad side FXOs, and some of the 3-turn pattern. Mostly, though, I just had a nice skate.

I realized Wed. while hanging at Starbucks with Tracy (hi Tracy!) that my problem with not feeling very secure on these blades might be due to a shallow ROH. My old blades had a 7/16 ROH, and when I got these blades I asked for that, but then I switched sharpeners and I'm not sure I had that discussion with them. It wouldn't surprise me if they are 1/2 inch now. I'll try to get this checked next week, as I need a sharpening anyway.

Update: I got home this afternoon, and took my skates in to be sharpened. Jim at NW Sports Authority says that they were actually a little deeper than 7/16! He sharpened them for me and set them to 7/16. So.. I guess I should stop whining about my boots and just fix my skating, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home