Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Waltz-8 & BXOs


Today's lesson:
  • FI figure-8 -- we started with these since I was working on them right before my lesson. I'm only getting about 3/4 of the circle around on the RFI and less on the the LFI. Sonya reminded me to get better kneebend and a good push, and to really hold the upper body still and look back to the starting point on the last 1/3 or so of the circle.
  • Waltz-8 -- I wanted to look at these because I found out it's quite likely that when I test these I'll be double-paneled and have to share the ice; so I wanted to start working them elsewhere than in the big middle circle, and get used to making my own circles. We worked out a starting point in mid-ice between the end hockey circles. We spent quite a bit of time on these. My 3s were a bit wonky today, which was annoying.
  • BXOs -- More work on these, mostly trying to get a better cross and smoother stroking (less scratchy). Some progress.
  • FXOs -- Finished up with these. Sonya reminded me that the Move needs to be a figure-8, not an infinity sign! That is, not a diagonal between circles but going straight up the middle and then definitely turning to make the new circle. I'm still having real issues with my bad side, and I talked to Sonya about how in general since I got these boots and blades I don't have a firm feel to these edges, which makes me very tentative about them. We'll have to work on that.
I was pleasantly surprised how well this lesson went since I had about 1.5 hours of sleep at most, I was dead tired. I guess that bodes well for how I can skate when I'm tired. I don't recommend it though.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home