Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Figures


I had my "fun" lesson today, with Kelli at the 5:15 FS.

Today's lesson:
  • Inside & Outside Eights -- I guess this is where everyone starts! My LFO was not too horrible for a first time, I can almost get around the entire circle. RFO -- I need to push harder and my edge is pretty stinky; I can only get 3/4 of the way around on one push. FIs were a bit easier. Kelli had me really concentrating on keeping the arms down and getting a better set position. I noticed that holding my arms down further than I usually do, I think I'm getting a better position; either turned in or out more to the circle.
  • Outside 8 w/3-turn -- this was a lot harder. It's amusing how one can think one's 3s are not too bad, until you are asked to skate half of a 15' circle and THEN turn. Eeep! Not so good. Kelli had me try it on two feet at first, then on one. Part of my difficult is that by the time I get to the top of the circle I'm going pretty slow so I wind up forcing the turn.
All in all, I learned what I thought I would: my edges are not nearly good enough yet. The forward ones were bad enough, and we didn't even try backwards! Pshaw! That doesn't mean they wouldn't pass APB (they would), just that there's a lot of improvement needed there.

I'm thinking it could only help me to work on these a bit from time to time, because feeling more solid on these edges would probably fix a lot of my body position and comfort/stability issues.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home