Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back Edges, BXOs, Half Flip, LFI3, Spins


Today's lesson was at 6:30 a.m... driving to the rink in the dark and fog was not fun, and I was really tired (up late) which didn't help. I had a pretty good skate and a good lesson though.

Today's lesson:
  • Back edges -- I was working on these when Sonya came on the ice, so by the usual coachly wisdom we worked on them for a couple minutes. I still need to work on getting the free foot in front and holding that position for a bit before rotating; Sonya also reminded me I need to keep the free shoulder down (i.e. keep the shoulders even) and to remember to look where I'm going, especially coming back to the line.
  • BXOs -- I asked to look at these since we didn't get to them last week; we did them in the Moves pattern. I assume I'm making sufficient progress that Sonya could start telling me that I need to roll the ankle on the underpush. These are slowly coming along, but I got a little freaked out by cross traffic (ice dancer and a couple of people on program). Still, there were some occasional ones that were actually "just right." So I just need to spend more time on these.
  • Half Flip -- just a little time on these. It would appear I'm doing them right, I just need to work on getting more actual jump. Sonya says I have enough knee-bend that I ought to be able to get some air out of it if I just, well, do it.
  • LFI3 -- I'm so dumb! I didn't really want to work on these with Sonya until I had had a chance to work them on my own some more, but I couldn't resist telling Sonya about my Jedi mind trick -- so of course she insisted on seeing them. She was pleased with my progress, but reminded me that I need to turn into the circle more. I also need to develop some semblance of a check :-).
  • Spins -- We finished off with just a brief look at these. They still aren't there. Sonya had me work a little on getting a better knee-bend on the step forward, and trying to keep the free hip and leg held back longer (how many zillions of times did Anna tell me that?!).
After my lesson I stayed and worked on various things until the end of the session. No lesson next week as I will be off to Arizona to visit friends and family, including stopping by my old rink. I'm really looking forward to being back at the Tucson rink and seeing all my skating buddies young and old(er).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home