Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Half Flip, Spins, FXOs


Today's 7 a.m. lesson was a pretty good one:
  • half flip -- we continued where we left off, working from the pick & draw to walking through the jump. I actually did a couple that were almost okay, but of course I wasn't moving yet. It's really not that complicated, but I'll need to work on coordinating things a bit better. Sonya showed me two ways to do this; in one you pretty much turn in place, in the other it's a little more like the waltz jump in that you spread your legs out more (I'm not explaining this well). I'll probably do the second one for now at least, although the first is more flip-like.
  • spins -- we spent some more time on the spin entrance, with perhaps some small progress to show for it. Sonya wants me to focus on stepping back more toward where I came on the step forward, getting a better kneebend and curve, and release the left arm/shoulder when the spin starts. It's a work in progress.
  • FXOs -- Sonya seemed pleased with the progress on these but wants more "push" on the underpush. I need to get better kneebend on these.
All in all a pretty good lesson. Sonya mentioned she'd like to have an off-ice lesson sometime to work on jumping technique. I have a lesson next week, then I'll be on vacation for a week, then I'll be back and should be in what will be my "regular" time slot.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home