Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Spalding Ice Classic


I helped out yesterday at the Carousel FSC's competition, the Spalding Ice Classic. I worked registration for about 4 hours and spent a few more just watching the skating, from pre-pre up to junior. It was a good chance to get to know people a little bit; I've not really made too many skating friends since I got here. Unfortunately, Mary who I met last week or so had to withdraw at the last minute so I didn't get to see her skate.

There were only 3 adult competitors listed in the program, all female. Indeed there were precious few males at all, of any age. Same old story! I did get to watch the short program for the "local boy", Dan Dang, who is skating at novice level. He was a real joy to watch -- not only is he talented but he's obviously had good coaching; his basic skating skills are quite good. It's nice to see.

I'm in the process of looking for a new coach, and I'd settled on a couple I wanted to have lessons with at Shiny Rink. I noticed there is apparently a new coach at Valley, though, who looks quite good. Her name is Stacy and apparently she's some kind of former Chinese national champion (not sure what level). So I dropped her an email and I'll try to get a lesson with her too. It would be nice to have a coach at Valley since it's so much closer and it will probably be where I do most of my skating.

It's almost time to renew my USFSA membership. I'm not sure what to do. The local club (Carousel) is $110/yr. My old club, Tucson FSC, is only $70. I also considered joining the Sherwood FSC if I wind up having lessons out there, but I've not been able to get any info on the club out there yet. I know it would probably be best to join the local club but I don't know what I'd really be getting for my extra $40 at this point, and money's a little tight. I'll have to figure this out soon, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home