Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Shiny+ Rink


Since I hadn't skated since Sunday morning, I took the trek out to Shiny+ Rink for the 7 p.m. public session. Between getting there a little late and a Z-break, about 90 minutes of skating.

It was not too crowded, and I found a quite corner or two to work on back edges. I'm starting to be a bit happier with these -- I'm finally getting some knee bend in the back edges so they are more controlled and the lobes are a bit bigger. Even the BI edges are showing some improvement. I also spent some time on spins -- no progress on the entrance, but I did a couple of very nice ones from a pivot. Also time on FXOs, BXOs, 3s, and 5-step mohawk. At the end I was working on the Waltz-8, and these are starting to show some real improvement at last. I'm finally starting to get the edges to be about the same length (almost) instead of the last edge being half of the quasi-circle.

All in all, a pretty good skate and I was happy with it. Unfortunately there was a memo posted at the rink saying that they are in the process of negotiating the sale of the rink, and, assuming it goes through, they will be shutting down their second ice sheet and carry on with just one sheet of ice. It's too bad; it is the nicest facility in the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home