Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, February 14, 2005

In The Trenches


Today's lesson was another day slogging through the trenches...:
  • Forward crossovers -- started in the MIF pattern, then we worked them on the circle. Anna's pushing for better extension on the crossing-foot stroke. After some work on these I was feeling like I was getting a much better edge on these -- as if I could picture my body perfectly balanced all the way down on that outside edge. Anna also said I'm getting a little "forward" when I cross. In general she wants me to work on doing these very slowly and deliberately, so that each position is correct. Also a correction, the transition between circles in the MIF pattern should be done on an inside edge (I was on the wrong foot!).
  • Back crossovers -- again, the MIF pattern and then on the circle. I thought these were pretty stinky today for some reason, which is odd since usually they are fairly decent. Still working to get the weight on that back foot properly and press the heel during that stroke so they are smooth and not scratchy. Again, Anna wants me to work these more deliberately and carefully.
  • BI Choctaw -- I had asked Anna to work with me on doing the !*&%$@# step forward for the alternating 3s pattern. As I blogged before, I find myself coming back to the line and being "stuck". Anna suggested that to do this from the FO3 I'm going to need to overcheck the exit of the turn and then "unfurl" (or "untwist") to do the step forward. We worked on this a little and I had an inkling of where it needs to go.
And that was it. Usually by the end of our lesson I'm pretty tired mentally and physically, but today I would have liked another 15 minutes or so. Oh well, plenty to practice between now and Friday!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home