Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Saturday Zoo


As usual I skated the Saturday afternoon public session. The ice was even more horrid than last week; the 3 p.m. Z-break helped a lot and it was much better after that. I was there from about 1 p.m. to 4:30, with a couple of breaks, so probably 3 hours of skating.

I spent some quality time with my 3 turns (in among the zooming kids etc.). I am actually starting to hold the exit edge of the FO3 with some authority. The secret seems to be a feeling of "standing tall" over my skate after the turn. I was pretty excited about this progress! Worked on the FI3s, but only got one good LFI3.

I spent a good chunk of time over at the boards stepping through the waltz jump, and then managed 3-4 away from the boards. I know I need to keep working on this but it's at that stage where it's sufficiently scary that I really don't feel like practicing it. This is where that "perseverance" thing comes in! Still, I did spend quite a bit of time on it. Being by the boards helps me to get that lift off the toepick that I otherwise seem to lack. Away from the boards I worked on doing a couple with an actual (duh!) outside edge entrance, with some success. I can tell this is going to be a bit longer of a path than I had hoped for or thought. Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

It was a fun time today hanging with the usual crowd of my "homegirls" -- they are a lot of fun. The definite odd moment was Lisa M (I'm going to start calling the older one "Lisa Mc" to distinguish) coming out on the ice in (horrors!) hockey skates! I must have looked aghast because she came over and said, "stop looking at me like that!" :-) She said she wanted to try them out. She was amused/disturbed to discover that it was a definite adjustment that took some time to get used to. Later on she put her figure skates back on :-).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home