Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Perseverance


I skated the adult session since my 1 p.m. call was cancelled. I had a pretty good skate; no great breakthroughs but some good work. Main emphasis was (again) FI3s, crossovers, and a few spins. I also did a few LF spirals. I'd not done any for quite some time, but on the 3rd or 4th one I got a really good one. Of course, no one really saw it (grr!) and I was too far from the boards to be able to tell how it looked. Anna was present but was teaching so I don't think she saw it either. Oh well. I should have worked on waltz jumps and, for that matter, the RF spiral, but I was lazy/chicken.

I also spent some time working on the LFO3/RFO3 in the moves pattern. I'm getting better at holding the exit edge, which is encouraging. I've told enough people that I'd like to test in May that it's starting to be a little... pressure? Worrisome? Dunno. At this rate it looks like half the rink is going to be testing at that session! I have so much improvement to make before then, especially:
  • Back edges. No way are these passing quality yet. They are improving, though, and I think they will be there.
  • Forward edges. In good shape, so long as I concentrate and don't rush.
  • FXOs. These too are improving and I think they'll be okay.
  • BXOs. About the same place as the FXOs.
  • Stroking. Almost passable, I think; again, so long as I concentrate.
  • Alternate F3s: GAAAH! It's definitely the hardest thing, and the only one I really worry about. It takes so long for me to get stuff that I am worried I won't have these by May.

Of course, this is only Moves. I don't think I'll be quite ready to test FS in May; I think I'll have everything except the 2nd jump. Of course I could do a half jump by then, probably, but I'd rather wait and do a waltz jump and a full jump (Salchow or toe loop, I assume). I'm not in a hurry on that. The other stuff (crossovers, lunge/spiral, spins) should be okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home