Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

USFSA Testing


We had a testing session at the rink today, so I attended both to support my fellow skaters and also to learn by watching. The first, large chunk of time was devoted to preliminary dances (Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Rhythm & Blues). I have to say that ice dance looks very appealing in some respects. If I had even more practice time (*sigh*) I'd consider it, especially since if anyone is qualified to teach dance, it's my coach -- she's an amazing dancer. As it is I have plenty to do just learning the basics at this point. These preliminary dances were followed by a couple of bronze dances (Hickory Hoedown and Willow Waltz, I believe).

After that there were two pre-preliminary tests, 3 Juvenile MIF and 1 Juvenile freeskate. Juvenile MIF and freeskate was by Patrick, another of Anna's students. I'm pleased to say he passed. His freeskate was to music from the Matrix, and of course I'd seen it a number of times at freestyle sessions. He did a really good job with it. It seems like Anna pushes him pretty hard, but I suspect it's because he's really capable of a lot. He works hard and is very talented.

I can tell I am making progress because the only part of the Juvenile MIF that I tended to watch and say "no way!" was the back power 3s. Eeep! The other stuff (8-step Mohawk, cross strokes, and double 3s) seem potentially do-able (yes, even the double 3s).

Congrats to all who tested!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home