Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Super Bowl Skate


I skated for an hour at the family skate session tonight, and, as I'd hoped, most of the families were off watching the Super Bowl. It was a nice session -- relatively uncrowded (maybe 20 people) and good ice.

I worked a lot of stuff, but spent the bulk of my time on 3s, and especially on working the FI3s. As a result I can say that the RFI3 is now *almost* comfortable. I can generally get retain some speed coming out of it and do a step forward, which is promising. The LFI3 showed great improvement as well, though it's a long way from being either consistent or comfortable. Still, I got a number of good ones, including some with some speed coming out of them, which is very promising. Things that seemed to particularly help this included forcing myself to not rush into the turn, and trying more to feel the edge like any other lobe-style edge. I'm greatly encouraged.

One other point to note, also encouraging. In the past, from time to time I've tried to see how far I can glide on what foot from a single push. In the past the best I've been able to do is roughly from the blue line to the blue line, a distance of 54 feet. Today I was able to sail way beyond the blue line, to the edge of the face-off circle beyond; a distance I'd estimate at a total of 75 feet. I was really psyched!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home