Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Skating 102


Today was my first lesson of 2005. We were "back to basics" still:
  • forward edges -- I'd gotten a bit sloppy about this. In particular, the problems I'd noticed with holding the edge recently on the FO edges was basically because I was skipping the whole "set" portion of the edge. Once I fixed that they were much better.
  • back edges -- in general Anna thinks these are much improved. I'm still, still having problems getting my head to turn all the way coming back to the line. I also need to have a better pushoff to begin with. Still, they are coming along.
  • FO3s -- we looked at these first on the line, then on the circle. I started with the RFO3 -- a persistent problem (across all my 3s, not just the RFO3) is not pushing onto a good edge. I tend to push onto a flat, which makes me wind up forcing the turn since I get no help from being on an edge. Also Anna reminded me to be more deliberate about the turn and not rush the preparation -- push, set, rotate, set, turn, set! After working the RFO3 we went to the LFO3, which is much nicer. Same problems, but I am able to compensate more for having a poor edge there so it's not so obvious.
  • FI3s -- we worked first on the LFI3. Lots of feedback here! It's definitely improved but much the same feedback as from the FO3s. Also Anna reminded me to really get some stretch on the arms before and after the rotation -- something I'd noted to myself before too. If I just try to put the trailing arm back I tend to have my shoulder hunched and forward; I need to put it down and stretching the arm out helps with that. We worked on the RFI3 briefly and while it's much better than the LFI3 the feedback is mostly the same.

I am out of town the rest of the week, so no other lessons for this week. Anna wants to move my Friday lesson to Thursday at the same time (12:45). Next week Anna says we'll look at spins and Mohawks on Monday, and then back to the waltz jump on Thursday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home