Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Perseverance, And Blood


I skated the adult session and part of the public session today, since I was off of work. I picked up my newly sharpened skates and then was off to the rink.

About 20 minutes into the session, one of the older skaters (Jan), who also just got her blades sharpened, had a nasty fall. She was entering a spin, caught an edge and fell and whacked her head. She didn't lose consciousness but was a little disoriented for a bit, and she had some bleeding from the back of her head. She was able to get up and off the ice with some help. I think she'll be fine. I was very sad to see her have such a nasty fall, not only because she's a very nice person and I hate to see anyone fall, but especially because she's one of my personal heroes. She's 72 and has been skating since she was 30, so I really admire her. She's a good skater but this sort of thing can happen to anyone.

I spent most of my time at the adult session working 3s and crossovers. I did spend some quality time on the CW crossovers. They are still much scarier than CCW. Still, they are slightly improved.

After the adult skate, I had lunch at the rink and then skated another hour and 15 minutes (total of about 2.5 hours of skating today). The public session was rather crowded so I spent a lot of time on 3s and spins. I also spent some time on the spin entrance and it's improving quite a bit; I think I'm getting the hang of it except that I'm pretty much stepping forward onto a flat, not an LFO. I need some feedback from Anna to fix this, I think, though.

Next week I need to get back to practicing the waltz jump, or at least its precursors. I've tried to take it easy after my surgery but I think I can go back to working on the jumps next week without it being a problem, since it will have been 4 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home