Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Thursday Zoo


Since I was off today I was able to attend the last half of the afternoon public session. However, the ice was horrible -- as far as I can tell, no resurfacing at all that afternoon. Still, I spent some quality time with my 3s and Mohawks. I also spent some time specifically getting re-familiar with the RBI Mohawk since I had been having problems with that lately. I also worked a little on crossovers and spins.

At one point some hockey boys (12ish I'd say) were zippnig around, throwing a wallet between them. I asked them to stop, and they gave me that look that boys that age will do. A little while later they were doing it again near me, and they overshot and dropped it near my foot. So I picked it up. They came over and demanded it back. I told them I'd found a wallet and I was going to take it to lost and found :-), and anyway they shouldn't be throwing things on the ice. They said they'd been told it was okay by the ice monitor. I asked them to identify him, and we all skated over to him and he said he'd told them it was okay "so long as they didn't hurt anybody." Dumbfounded, I went off to the office and turned it in to lost and found. As I expected, 2 minutes later they were on the ice again and throwing it back and forth. Once I had a moment I went back to the office and complained to the management about the ice monitor. They said he was new and they'd talk to him, and sure enough a few minutes later I saw one of the managers talking to him. Hopefully it won't be an issue any more. Telling kids it's okay to do that kind of junk "so long as nobody gets hurt" is, IMHO, akin to telling teenage boys it's okay to weave through traffic at 60 mph so long as nobody gets hurt. Nice in theory, but in practice somebody's going to get hurt. I ought to know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home