Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Year's Resolutions


I made some resolutions a year ago. I think I mostly executed them, except that I still don't practice my right-foot, weaker side stuff enough. Still, I was much better this year about keeping my blades sharp, about enjoying things more, and reasonably good about practicing the hard stuff.

It was a long year, with surgeries and injuries and miscellaneous stuff. Still, I've come a long, long way. My goal for last year in particular was to learn all the Basic 8 skills solidly. I'd say that for the most part I've accomplished that, and if I hadn't been off the ice for almost 2 months due to my broken wrist there would be absolutely no question. The only questionable elements are the 1-foot spin (don't have all the pieces together yet), the ballet jump, and the mazurka; and of course the waltz jump is still in the beginning stages. Still, a lot accomplished. I skated the holiday show. I am a lot more confident and comfortable and pleased with my skating, though of course I'm not "satisfied."

My goals for 2005:
  • solidify my waltz jump
  • learn the scratch spin entrance
  • learn another jump (toe loop or salchow?)
  • pass the adult pre-bronze moves test
  • pass the adult pre-bronze freestyle test
I am not putting anything about competing on here for now. While I'd like to compete, it's secondary at this point to testing. Besides, when I compete, I'd like to have actual, ah, "competition." That is, I'd like to be competing against other men. That might take some doing and some travel (and therefore $).

I'm really looking forward to this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home