Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Saturday Zoo


I managed to drag my butt to yoga class today, the first time in 5 weeks. Sheesh. It was a workout, too, which is good. I really need to keep it up, it's basically the only "off-ice training" that I do at all.

I got to the rink just after the start of the public session, and stayed 'til the end -- with lunch and Z-break, probably 3.5 hours of skating. I was pretty tired by the end, too. I worked pretty much all my usual stuff. My spins are coming along nicely, got several good 1-footed ones. I also worked forward Mohawks on the circle and a lot of 3-turns. I also worked on my step-forward. The left foot is not too much of a problem, it's starting to feel pretty comfortable. The right foot -- it's an issue. I don't know if it's just because the RB edges are still my weakest, or what, but I can't get that rotation to save my life. Grrr!

I got to meet a couple of new adult skaters today. One, Sariya, was there with her husband and kids. The kids are absolutely adorable. We talked a little about skating and she said something like, you can do anything you want to do. I replied to the effect that I didn't see any triples in my future :-). She said, "Do you really want them?" and I said there's a part of me that really does. She said that she's done them and she's happy not to anymore. A very different perspective than where I am!

The other new person was Patrick (yes, a male!). He was there with his kids. He skates very nicely. I don't know about his freestyle abilities but he has really nice flow and seems very comfortable. I introduced myself after the session. He says he grew up on roller skates/roller blades and has been ice skating for a few years now.

I found out that the test session, which was originally scheduled for 8/29, is now 8/28 (next Saturday) at 6 a.m.! Sheesh. I had hoped to go watch, but I will be going to Phoenix the night before and won't get to bed until 12:30 or 1 so I don't think I'll make it to the rink by 6 a.m. It's too bad. Two of my coach's students (Tracy and Patrick) will be testing. Patrick is signed up for 4 (count 'em, 4) tests! Sheesh! I think it's two MITF and two freestyle. I wish them both luck, I think it would really stink to have to take your test at 6 o'clock in the morning. I suspect there was some scheduling conflict with the rink that forced the change. I sure hope when it's time for mine that it's not 6 a.m. on a Saturday. I am lucky to function at all at that hour, much less do well on a skating test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home