Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, January 05, 2004

Backward Wiggles


Since my choir practices don't start until next week, I went to the public session tonight. I worked on a wide variety of things, but mostly crossovers and 3-turns. I did about 10 LFO3s in a row, and managed to get about 5 where I was somewhat able to hold the LBI exit. I tried doing some RFO3s but each time I still have the same problem -- I get rotated and then I just stop. I'm not sure if I'm just not getting quite enough rotation (although the tracing looks good) or what. I'll have to ask Anna at my lesson.

My crossovers are slightly improved. I'm getting a little better kneebend on them and that is making them a bit smoother. Feeling brave I practiced a spiral (left foot) along the boards so I could grab it if necessary. That went okay so I actually tried a couple out on the ice. I didn't fall, which is a good start. I am sure my extension and leg height were pathetic, but of course I can't see. Still, I can work on them and that's a start. Of course I did a few lunges and two-foot spins and those are not too bad.

Since the session was not too crowded, I spend a fair amount of time skating backwards. In some ways the main thing holding me back from getting better at them, I think, is that I can't do backward crossovers, so it's hard to get much speed up to work on backward glides. Backward crossovers are definitely something I'll have to work on with Anna.

The amusing part of tonight's practice (and thus the title) was that just before the session ended, it occurred to me (as some of you who've read my blog from the beginning will remember) that I had never learned to do the "backward wiggle" (a Basic 1 skill), I just went straight to backward swizzles. Anyway, I decided to give 'em a try, and lo and behold, I can do them now! I was very amused and practiced 'em for 5 minutes or so. Of course they are quite boring, but I was still pleased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home