Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, December 28, 2003

Last (Group) Lesson


I went today to have a make-up lesson for my 12/31 lesson since I don't expect anyone to be there New Years Eve. As I anticipated, since Allison wasn't there I was lumped in with the Adult Freestyle class taught by Linda. I've been seeing a lot of Linda lately :-). For the first part of class we worked on FO edges in MITF style, which I've done a fair amount. To work on it Linda had us try doing them without the swing roll, and keeping the free hip/shoulder pressed back the whole time. MUCH harder!

After edges we spent some trying a waltz-3. A waltz-3 is done on a lobe like edges are, it's basically a FO edge, 3 turn, two-foot backward glide to a one-foot BO edge and then a step forward, and repeat. My 3 turns are not really up to this, nor is my step forward. Oh well, at least I know how it goes.

After the lesson I had some lunch at the rink, and then skated the whole afternoon session (1 - 4 p.m.) I worked on pretty much everything, but especially my forward crossovers. They are definitely improving; I'm getting a better lean and they are more deliberate. However, while I can do them fairly nicely on the circle, doing them while stroking around the ends of the rink is still problematic and I'm not sure why except that I'm probably going faster and not getting as deep an edge. I'll have to work on it.

I spent some time on the RFI open Mohawk and it is slowly improving. I need to do a cajillion more of them of course.

All in all it was a good, long skate. I was pretty tired at the end. I'm skating again on Monday (coffee club + afternoon) since I'm off, and then Tuesday I have my physical therapy appointment to look at my ankle and shoulder.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home