Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, December 14, 2003

"Up" Lesson & Saturday Zoo


Saturday morning I did a "make-up" lesson in advance (my lessons are Wed. evenings and I did a make-up for 12/24 since I don't expect anyone to be there Christmas Eve). One of the instructors was sick, so when it came time for class, the instructors decided to combine the Basic 7/8 and Adult Freestyle classes, and to put me in with them since the Adult Basic class was all people who were much more beginners than I (a wise and thoughtful decision). Linda (who I've had a lesson with) was teaching Basic 7/8 and Adult Freestyle.

Our combined class worked first on Mohawks, which I have already been exposed to but still can't really do. I got some good advice on the Mohawk, namely, to think of the free leg/foot like a golf club that needs to swing forward to the instep as the upper body is turning. After Mohawks we went on to the back Mohawk, AKA BO to FO transition ("step-forward"). Since I have very very weak back edges, not surprisingly I struggled with this and wasn't able to do a good one.

For the last part of class, we hit what was for me new territory, and started walking through a waltz jump (!). Yea! I probably need to walk through these on land first, but at least now I understand the basics: LFO edge, elbows back with lower arms hanging free, then swoop right leg forward (not out, just straight forward, a "scissors" action) and jump off the left foot, turn and land on RBO and scissor left foot back. I was really excited to see how this jump works though of course I can't do one at this point. I can't even do a bunny hop yet.

After class I had some lunch at the rink restaurant, and talked with some of the rink moms etc. After lunch I skated at the public session for about 2 hours (so about 2.5 hours of skating). I spent most of my time working on forward crossovers, edges, and my LFO3. The crossovers are actually starting to improve; especially, for the last part of the skate I was finally getting a rhythm of stroke-crossover-uncross and repeat (lather, rinse, repeat? :-)). This was on the circle. I'm really trying to get down in my knees more and that seems to be helping a lot; also trying to get on a better edge. I've noticed that sometimes even though I am technically on an edge (i.e. I'm turning) it feels very flat and I can tell my weight placement is not really on the edge. So I worked on edges a bit to try to get that better. Finally I spent a good amount of time on my 3-turns, and especially the LFO3. This is starting to improve even from Friday. The main thing I tried to add (besides the deeper edge) was to not force the turn but be sure I'd actually turned all the way into the circle; and also to really try to consciously bend my knee at the turn. These two things seemed to help me get a better check and better control on the exit (although I'm still having to put the free foot down). I'm doing these mostly on the hockey goal circle or a similar size edge.

I've not been able to get hold of the remaining coach (Melinda) re: a trial lesson; but she was the one who was sick Saturday so I guess it's not suprising. I'll give her a couple of days to call me and try again maybe Monday afternoon or Tuesday if I've not heard back. I need to get this resolved by Friday so I can start planning; plus I don't want to leave the others in suspense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home