Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Tuesday, December 09, 2003

I'm Too Stubborn


I went to the doctor this afternoon to have him look at my ankle and shoulder since they still hurt from my fall in October. The news was not all that bad, but not great either; and I really wish I had gone sooner. I am way too stubborn that way. He said I had definitely injured the tendons and nerves in my ankle, and my rotator cuff (shoulder). He prescribed some anti-inflammatories that he wants me to take for a couple of weeks, and gave me a referral for physical therapy. That's the bad news. The good news is that I should eventually heal just fine. The bad news is that although with exercise I should be able to strengthen the muscles (especially in my foot/ankle) to help prevent re-injury, he says that once the rotator cuff gets messed with the chances of re-injury are much higher. He did say that if I do my PT and strengthen it I should be able to avoid re-injury for many years though (otherwise he thinks it's more like months or a few years).

I'm upset, but not too much. I don't think it's going to seriously affect my skating, which is the only physical exercise I'm really concerned with right now anyway. And it's my left arm so my promising baseball career is safe :-). Anyway, from my dealings with my doctor so far I've determined that he's usually right about these things, but also that if I really do the things he tells me the prognosis is usually better than it seems.

In other news I have lost 13 lbs. since last April. I attribute that pretty much exclusively to skating. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home