Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, January 02, 2004

Coffee Club


I went to coffee club today. Spent time working on crossovers and 3-turns, mostly. I've decided one of my problems with crossovers is that I need more lean. Strangely enough I seem to get somewhat better lean on the CW ones, I'm not sure why that is. I spent a fair amount of time on the CW crossovers (in accordance with my resolutions!) and they are actually coming along. On the LFO3 I tried something that I'd been thinking about yesterday, and that is to look into the circle in the middle of the turn. I'd read somewhere that that can be a cause of not being able to hold the exit edge. It did seem to help quite a bit, although the LBI is still shaky and I can't hold it long. Still it counts as progress.

During the lesson we looked at swingrolls. A swingroll is like a MITF edge except you point your free foot behind you at the start, then at the top of the circle you bring it forward and point it again; also you don't rotate your arms but leave them in a neutral position. This is very hard. After a couple of tries at that Linda suggested I go back to something she'd had me working at on 12/27 during my last group lesson, namely to do the edge without any rotation. This is also hard, but it's coming. It's really hard to keep the free hip from rotating. She said this is an important thing, to be able to control the rotation on the free hip.

There was a Good Skater there during most of the session; I think her name is Kendra. Anyway it was very distracting to try to concentrate on a lesson, I wanted to just watch her. She had a very nice Axel, very high and smooth.

One of the other people at the session was, apparently, one of Anna's other students. She is apparently working on the alternating forward 3-turns for Adult Pre-Bronze MITF. She is a much better skater than I in general, so in a way it was gratifying to see that it's hard for her too. I'm a little curious what the step is from one lobe to another on this, I wasn't watching closely enough. I would assume it's a back choctaw, since you would need to step from (e.g.) an LBI to RFO. I'll have to ask about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home