Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, July 06, 2022

A Whole New World

 I skated the 12:40 p.m. FS at the Coyotes Community Ice Center (CCIC) in Mesa for a lesson with Coach Holly.  Since Holly's no longer at AZ Ice Gilbert this is where her students will be skating for the foreseeable future.  Ice was not the best (there was hockey right before, and quick ice cut that didn't fill in the ruts.).  About 12 skaters I think?  A good crowd.

Wow, I had not skated freestyle in like a month.  Eeep!

Today's lesson:

  • Perimeter XOs -- meh. Forward was okay (was off pattern a bit), back... yikes.  All that stuff I'd worked on about skating with speed and less on two feet was NOT present today.  We worked on it and it did improve though.
  • 5-step mohawk -- actually, not that bad.  I still need to work on the BO edge to push back into it more and to get off the toe, but the mohawk wasn't bad.
  • circle-8 -- actually okay.  The last (RFI) circle was a bit small, but I made it around.  The ice at CCIC is a bit harder, it seems to me, so the flow was better.
  • waltz jump -- the first one had a weird landing.  The 3rd one was pretty nice -- good height and I actually controlled the landing :-)
  • salchow -- meh.  First couple were bad.  The last one had a good entry/takeoff but I landed on two feet.  I need to get back to feeling that 'jump to the side' feeling that the good ones have.
After my lesson I skated another 15 minutes or so, then I had to get back to work.

It was nice to see so many folks skating.  I think we'll stick with this time slot for now.  Once school starts I'll need to move it back an hour or so.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home