Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, June 14, 2021

Trouble

 I got my freestyle skates sharpened on Saturday as I was sitting at 45 hrs of skating on them, which is about my limit and clearly I would not want to test in really dull blades... except that I woke up in the middle of the night last night wondering if the only reason I've finally been able to do the circle-8 the last couple of weeks is precisely because my blades are so dull?!  I did not sleep well.

So today I skated the 10 a.m. FS at Chandler and .... yes.  Although the blades don't feel overly sharp (I can stop, and I don't have that 'stuck to the ice' feeling I usually have with fresh sharpening), I am stuck.

I ran through the Bronze moves and for the most part they were okay, although I don't feel like I am flowing as well.  But the circle-8.... I am back where I was a month ago.  Granted, the ice was pretty torn up and there were 13 skaters, so it was hard to find a spot that wasn't too bad.  Still, I only made it around about 3/4 of the circle even when pushing from the R foot, which usually worked.

Anyway, I worked on that a bit and then gave up and spent the rest of my time on the 5-step mohawk and the power-3s.

I'm really concerned, to put it mildly.  My only hope is that as I get some more time on these blades that things will improve and I'll be okay.  I sure hope so, otherwise I'm toast.  Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home