Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, May 21, 2021

Circle-8 & Brackets

 My lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate.  Not so great ice (kinda bumpy), 7 skaters.  We postponed this lesson from Wednesday as there was a compressor issue at Gilbert Wednesday mid-morning.

I had a long warmup as my friend Jose' had his lesson with Holly before me, so I ran through the whole Bronze moves test.   Meh.

Today's lesson:

  • circle-8 -- I reviewed my work with Danette on the circle-8 for Holly, and then we spent most of our time on it. Unfortunately I don't think I can safely say that I've mastered this move and I don't need to worry about it.  After about 25 minutes of tweaking things, including adding an extra intro step and working on bending my knee more to have better control on the RFO.  One key thing to think about is noting (while taking the test) where the clean spots on the ice are, and using that for this move, wherever it happens to be.
  • brackets -- just 3 or 4 minutes on these, the LFOB.  It's coming along slowly.
Just now I double-checked, and good thing, too, because apparently I'm mistaken.   The test form specifically says 'standing start' for the Bronze MIF for the circle-8 (the other moves all say 'intro steps opt.'). So... no intro steps for me.  Oh well.  I wonder if they were allowed before and then removed? Or have I been wrong for a while?  I didn't do any intro steps when I tested before, but then back then my circle-8 was my best move!  Geez.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger Lexi said...

    Not sure about adult, but for preliminary moves, the circle 8s have always been a standing start move. So I’m assuming it’s the same for adult since they pull the same steps.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home