Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Breaking It Down

My figures lesson with Danette on the Chandler Ice CafĂ©.  Nice ice and just 4 skaters.

We started my lesson pretty much immediately, without really a warmup period.

Today's lesson:

  • Edges -- generally pretty nice.  I'm really happy with the BI edges, the initial push is much better.
  • step forward -- after this I asked for exercises to address the continuing issues I am having with the step forward.  Danette had me skate backward down the line, turn and push.  This is actually slightly easier than in the waltz-8 as I'm only turning 180 degrees, whereas on the w-8 since it's on a circle it's more than 180 degrees.  We worked through some issues with trying to get me to bend my knees more and to bring my hips under me.
  • hips exercise -- which brought us to working to get my hips under me on any push, and stand straighter -- a nice vertical line from shoulders/hips/feet.  I tend to be a bit forward when I push.  We worked on this quite a bit with only some modest progress, but as Danette said, I didn't get where I am overnight so this will take a while.  This is something I don't have to be in patch blades to work on, so I can work on it whenever I skate.

After my lesson I had about 20 minutes to work on this stuff some more, as well as the exercise she gave me a while ago of gliding on my back edge and keeping turned into the circle.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home