Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Still Slogging

My figures lesson with Lynne on the Chandler Ice CafĂ© as usual.  6 skaters.

I warmed up with edges and scribed my circles, and had just started FO8 when Lynne came on the ice.

Today's lesson:

  • FO8 -- hm. Some issues on the first layout, so we did another set that was much better.
  • FI8 -- pretty good.  I freaked myself out a little when I was starting the 3rd RFI; I looked ahead at the tracing and saw that my two previous prints were RIGHT ON TOP of each other, perfect!  Alas I was not able to get the 3rd print that close (it was probably 6" away, oh well).
  • waltz-8 -- I talked with Lynne about some of what I'd learned in my practice last week and discovered that I was trying to do the step forward the hard(er) way!  I was trying to turn my foot under me from the back-middle of the blade, almost like a back-3, but Lynne said that's not really necessary and it's perfectly fine to do it from the ball of the foot (which is what I observed Mary doing last week when we were all talking about it). So yay!  This is pretty important as it makes it at least theoretically a lot easier to do.  With that learning we kept working and it's a little better.  It will take some time to incorporate all this into my skating.
After my lesson I spent some time on waltz-8 and also a little bit on BO8.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home