Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Jumps; 5-Step Mohawk

My lesson with Holly on the Gilbert adult skate... as usual, great ice.  And just 2 skaters!!

I warmed up with edges, circle-8, stroking, and some work on crossovers.

Today's lesson:

  • toe loop -- we worked on this from waltz-toe loop combination.  Holly held my hand while I did them for a bit and this really helped me to slow down and let the R foot come around after the pick-in.  Some really good progress on getting the feel of it back.  When it's good it feels.... not so frantic, lol.  Slowed down and a different, slower tempo; and that feeling of "jumping over" to land on the R foot that I vaguely remember.  I was really happy with this.
  • salchow -- just a few minutes on these.  Again it's all about timing and tempo and down-up-down (and as usual I have problems with the final "down").  After some work we got me to do an almost-okay one... so we moved on.
  • 5-step mohawk -- these are coming along.  As usual the R side is not so bad, the L side is a bit wild. In thinking aloud about why the LFI mohawk on this move is so horrible when I know I'm capable of doing a not-so-bad one, I realized that when I do the LFI mohawk into my spin windup I push it "out" to the left a bit, whereas in the 5-step I'm trying to do it straight which means it's more difficult for me.  So I tried to push it out more and that does indeed help a lot!  So I'm really pleased.
All in all some good progress!

The Wednesday adult skate is going to be going away for the summer so Holly and I discussed new lesson times. It looks like we'll go to Fridays at 7 a.m.... ulp.  Oh well!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home