Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Friday, March 04, 2016

2016 PCAS Showcase Dramatic Program

My Showcase Dramatic program "Years" at the 2016 Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals.

My event was the first one of the competition. There were 3 of us in this event (myself and 2 ladies).  After Ian C. sang "God Bless America" and the National Anthem was played, we took the ice for our warmup.  I warmed up spins, bunnyhop and toe loop as well as waltz jump.  It was only a 4-minute warmup so it went by pretty quickly.  I was skating second, so after the warmup I just had a couple of minutes to wait so I took off my jacket and gloves and tried to relax.

Finally they called me out for my skate, I took my position and off I went!  The first part of the program went pretty well, except that for some reason I don't understand, I forgot to look over my right hand at the very beginning.  I don't know why.  The first spin was not great, like 1.5 revs.

After that I went into the back stroking and for some reason I got way too far down ice, so I was practically in the crease.  Then I came out of that and I should have done one more push than I did, so I was still shifted too much to that end of the rink in the attitude and mohawk/cross that came after.

I didn't do the side-toe hop!  Argh!  I had done this a couple of times.  I'm not sure why.  The rest was that I was still shifted too much to the other end of the rink.  I went through the rest of that part (LFI mohawk, back stroking into BXOs into waltz jump) and it was okay.  The bunnyhop and lunge were fine, and the toe loop was more or less okay.  The rest of the program was fine and I got a pretty good spin at the end, so yay me!  I think I finished a second late or so but I had a little slop in the music so it was more or less okay.

All in all I was pretty pleased with this, for the first time out of a new program.  I know I can fix the small things wrong that I did and it will be fine.

In the end I placed 2nd. I did get one 1st place ordinal, so I was pretty happy with that.  Considering my past results in general this program is off to a pretty good start.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home