Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Adult Skating Sendoff!

This evening we had our first-ever Adult Skating Sending for our Phoenix skaters at Az Ice Arcadia.  We had 45 minutes of ice time and a total of 11 skaters (some of us did 2 programs).

I picked up my new Dramatic costume from 12th Street Dancewear at 4 pm, and then had a little time to kill before the exhibition.  I got to the rink at about 5 p.m. and changed into my dramatic program.  The ice cut was done early so we got on the ice at 5:25 and had a five minute warmup. Eeek!  I forgot how fast the ice there is.  I warmed up my waltz jump, toe loop and spins and then spent some time on bunnyhops so I wouldn't freak out.  I had a minute left when I realized I needed to warm up my salchow for the free skate!  I just had time to do one, but it was fine.

I skated 2nd after my clubmate Jose.  I went out to take my place and the music started just a little bit before I was ready!  Oh well, it was okay. 

In general the dramatic went pretty well, except that neither spin was good.  The first one had some weirdness to the entry that kind of threw me off.  I was so focused on doing the bunnyhop well that I forgot to do the arms on the lunge :-(.   The toe loop was a bit better than it's been, but still two-footed on the landing.   The twirly thing was a bit off but passable, and then the final spin was not too good.  Because of all that I finished a bit early!  So I did a little pushback thing and then took my final pose after the last spin.  It was okay.

Then I had about 20 minutes to change my costume and wait to skate.  I went out for the free skate and my music started and off I went!

Free skate went fine.  The salchow was actually okay.  The spin was not too great but by now I have pretty low expectations for spins so I wasn't surprised nor shocked.  Despite the slick ice the lunge-3 was okay, I caught it just right.  I finished just right.

All in all this was a great experience.  I was pretty nervous for the dramatic program, so I'm glad I had this experience now.  I wasn't particularly nervous for the free skate which was nice.

I'm very grateful to Erika for all her work in setting this up!  I think we'll do this annually. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home