Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Spins

My spins lesson with Lynne on the 7:30 a.m. FS at Chandler.

I warmed up by running Bronze moves, then worked on salchow and toe loop.  I had a little progress on the toe loop in that I convinced myself to bring the edge around (this took a while) and then jump.  I was landing on two feet but the takeoff was more correct.  Salchow was about the same; the entry is correct (I'm holding the LBI longer after the 3) but the takeoff is too late/wrong.

Today's lesson:

  • standing start -- most of these were pretty bad, as in about 1.5 - 2 rev.  There were a couple that were 2 - 2.5 rev.  Yuck. 
  • windup -- rushing too much.  I did get one that was about 2 revs and mostly centered, it was the very last one.
All in all I found myself at the end of my lesson extremely frustrated.  I've been skating 12 years now and the average 6-year-old spins better than me.  It's holding me back enormously and I don't know what to do.  I am going to talk to JJ and see what he thinks.  Honestly I'd give up on spinning entirely except it's not really an option, but I will never, ever win a free skate nor get to Bronze without getting past this. Clearly what I'm doing now is not working.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home