Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bronze Moves Critique

Today I had my Bronze Moves critique on the 8:15 a.m FS at Gilbert.

The plan, as I understood it, was that I would skate the 7:30 a.m. FS and we would have our usual lesson at 7:45 a.m., then have the critique at 8:15.  Unfortunately there was a miscommunication and JJ thought we were just having the critique, no lesson.  So I got on the ice at 7:30 and warmed up, etc. and.. no coach.  JJ got there about 8 a.m. so we worked for 15 minutes on the moves (basically ran the test), then started the critique about 8:17 or so.  Unfortunately the miscommunication etc. really frazzled me and I was just really upset and anxious and not at all in a good frame of mind to be doing a critique.  Oh well.

Here's the feedback I got (Judge's notes in bold and my comments following):

  • Perimeter power stroking -- fwd want to see more pwr; could push extension more; bk - should hold edges longer after push - correct edges on both.  I was really pleased with how these went, actually.  If I have to get more power on the FXOs I will have to really bend my knees and dig in more.  I didn't think I had particularly good crossovers but I guess they were good enough.
  • Forward power 3-turns -- don't hold bkwd position so long after 3; entry & exit edges on 3s should be held longer, correct edges!  These went reasonably okay from my perspective.  I was pleased that he noted my edges were correct.  In general I think he's exactly right.  I'm pleased that he didn't say I was too slow or needed more power, so that is something.
  • Alternating back crossovers to back outside edges -- flow good - even; need to push extension more; correct edges; crossovers scratchy. I was happy with how these went as well.  I guess I do need to work on the BXOs (everywhere not just here).
  • forward circle 8 -- foot down on left outside; all edges and flow were very good.  Agh!!!  I did indeed put my foot down.  Argh.  I did it in my lesson as well.  I just didn't have a good body position and couldn't hold the edge.  I ascribe it to being flustered and upset as it only takes a little bit of lack of focus to screw these up.  Geez.
  • five-step mohawk sequence -- mohawks could be smoother; 2 foot glides between steps 4 & 5; timing good/consistent; edges good and correct.  Considering how badly my mohawks generally are I was pleased with this.  The 2-foot glide thing was kind of news to me (so yay for having a critique!).
All in all I think I got some really good feedback.  Not sure how to proceed; I'll talk with JJ about this next week.  Right now I'm still in a really bad mood so I don't want to think about it too much.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home