Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Moves

My lesson with JJ on the 8:15 FS at Gilbert.  This was a make-up lesson from last week. I had not skated since last Wednesday so the first few minutes were interesting, ugh.

Today's lesson:

  • power-3s -- we actually made a little progress on these.  JJ actually got me to do a whole pattern :-).  On the L side I finally got into the swing of actually moving my R arm forward before the turn so I could actually do it.  The R side was a lot rougher as I'm still having difficulty on the step forward out of the BXO.
  • BXOs to BO edge -- these are kinda okay, by which I mostly mean that I can more-or-less do them.
  • 5-step mohawk -- mmph.  Actually the R side was kind of okay (better than it has been).  The L side is still pretty weak and I'm way up on my toe on the BO edge.  Oh well.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:10 AM , Blogger JGC said...

    Hello Gordon, I look at your blog every now and again. I understand your feeling of frustration--but you are out there practicing and skating and that counts! You'll only get better. I have a broken foot at the moment and cannot skate. I keep speculating on how much I am going to lose from lack of practice, and have an ongoing battle with feelings of frustration.
    What I am doing, though, is trying to mitigate the inevitable loss of conditioning by continuing my off-ice strength program. Yes, it's highly-modified to accommodate my injury, but it is better than not making the effort at all. Speaking from experience, I can almost guarantee you that a lot of the ruts you are in skating-wise will be greatly improved by working off-ice.

    Practicing the skating skills themselves is important, yes, but you need a physical foundation, too. It's a demanding sport and your body has to be in condition not just to function but to perform. As an older adult skater myself, I see it as my responsibility to give my coach raw material to work with. In a nutshell, I am giving the coach muscles that are strong and a physical scaffold on which to build skating skills on. I could not see myself skating without being first conditioned physically.

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Gordon said...

    Thanks. You are exactly right, of course. Unfortunately the only time working out on a regular basis has worked for me was in Oregon.. until I get my butt in gear on this I do think it's holding me back quite a bit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home