Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Monday, December 09, 2013

Toe Loop, Mohawks, Inside Spread Eagle

I had a lesson with Sonya on the tail end of the WSC public.  By the time I got there from work, I only had 5 minutes to warm up before my  lesson.  I'd not had a lesson on a public session in literally years, and it was kind of crowded -- plus 1/3+ of the rink was sectioned off for some kind of hockey lessons.  Urp.

Today's lesson:
  • toe loop -- we worked on pivots, again, and on getting the hips opened up.  We worked for about 15 minutes with not much progress though :-(.
  • mohawks -- we worked on trying to improve these since they are so hopped/jumped.  Sonya had me work on holding the edge longer before the turn, and to really bring the hand/shoulder/upper body around more.  There was some improvement.  The other issue with these is bringing the free foot in and placing it correctly but we didn't work on that much.
  • inside spread eagle -- for some reason we got to working on these.  They are kind of scary for me because I always feel like I am going to fall out of the circle, but I did manage several of them (they were more like 2-foot spins with the legs apart :-( ).   I needed to really bend my knees and try to lean into the circle a little/have a good inside edge.
And that was all we had time for!  Sonya was really excited about the progress on the spread eagle.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home