Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Spins

I am in Oregon today and had a lesson with Sonya on the 8:15 FS at WSC.

As I noted, I picked up my boots with my new blades this morning.  I skated for 45 minutes (7:15 - 8), then had my lesson with Sonya and a little practice after.

Today's lesson:
  • stroking -- Sonya wanted to be sure my new blades were okay so of course she made me do a lap or two of stroking and crossovers.  No issues, but of course my extension could be better.
  • two-foot spin -- we spent a little time on two-foot spins, mostly concerned with getting me to hold my arms out longer before pulling them in.  These were a little rough at first but improved.
  • 1-foot spin -- mostly working on keeping the free leg back and get the arms extended out to either side before pulling them in.  I did some relatively nice spins!
  • backspin -- I showed Sonya my exercises that JJ had me doing.  She had me do some crossrolls and other stuff, then we worked on the entry.  Not much progress.
It was nice to be back at WSC again, and especially to see homegirls Sierra, Karly and Madison.  Also fun (a bit distracting, in a good way) to see the novice dance national champs (Lewis and Bye) there working.  They've improved a lot in the last couple years and are a joy to watch.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home