Gordon's Sk8er Boi Blog

My adventures as an adult male figure skater in Tucson, Arizona Portland, Oregon Chandler, Arizona.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

2013 Autumn Antics Showcase Light


... after my Dramatic program I took off my skates (ahhhh!) and changed into my costume for the Light program.  I had a few moments to watch skating, then I had to get my 12 bazillion props ready.  Had a brief moment to chat with my stepmother, then it was time to go warm up.  I was 4th of 5 in the skating order for the event, right after Melissa. 

When I got on the warmup ice the ice monitor let me put my table out next to the doorway for the practice ice.  I went through and warmed up although I was already pretty warmed up from the previous program anyway.  I did take some time to practice my spin with the x-ray glasses though.  Eeep.  I suspect I will have to practice with them a LOT more to get a good spin in them, it's so weird.

Finally Melissa went out to skate and I got my table moved ready to go on.  Melissa came off, they called me out and I pushed my table out into position, set it up, and got into my opening pose...

and....

and...

nothing!

So Trish (the referee) tells me my music won't play (obviously).  I'm not surprised, for whatever reason.  I go back and grab my backup copy and skate it over to them.  They were not using the boombox (different folks than I had trained) so I reached over and turned it on for them and ran up the mixer :-).  Ha!

I go back and take my position and off I go!  I have to say I was having a pretty good time with it.  Off through the half flip, waltz jump, putting on the x-ray glasses, into the spin, which was okay.  Then off into the spiral and something went a little weird, because I was ahead of the music too much.  I might not have gone toward the audience enough on the spiral... anyway, I went into the 60s dance part and I had to turn around to do the next "blinded" move instead of it being on the same line as the 60s dance. Oh well.  I came out okay and I finished just fine.  People were very appreciative and I got a couple of tossies :-).  Pushed the table off and I was done.

When the results were in... I was SECOND OF FIVE!!  I even beat Melissa!  I was very pleasantly surprised and happy about such a positive outcome.  But there was something else...

I was nominated for the skate-off!!  Tawnya had told me that they didn't necessarily nominate the top finisher of a group, and that was true for me.  Woohoo!!!  I can't tell you what a great feeling it was/is.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home